Design Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, 1930
Tubular steel frame, upholstery
Made in USA by Knoll
Designed in 1930 for the Tugendhat house in Brno, Czechoslovakia, the Brno chair mirrors the ground breaking simplicity of its original environment. A simple profile, clean lines and meticulous attention to detail have elevated the Brno chair to an icon of twentieth century furniture design.
In close cooperation with Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and later the Mies van der Rohe Archives of The Museum of Modern Art in New York, Knoll continues to reproduce the Brno chairs to the designer’s exacting specifications. Hand-ground, hand-buffed seamless frames demonstrate the exceptional quality. With a large selection of fabrics and leathers to choose from, the Brno chair complements any interior. An elegant alternative to wooden side chairs.
Knoll is the only authorized and licensed manufacturer of the Van der Rohe collection. Mies van der Rohe’s signature is stamped into the frame of each piece to guarantee authenticity.
After working in his father’s stonemasonry business and engaging furniture apprenticeships, Mies established his own office in Berlin, and later became a member of the Deutscher Werkbund and Director of the Bauhaus. He immigrated to the United States in 1938, setting up a practice in Chicago where he persued his architecture career and later became the director of architecture at the Institute of Technology in Chicago.